Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Question 4

Virtual Class
If this were an online class, I would have expected something like these test taking processes, because I would know that I would always need online access to a computer. Traditional classes feel more “hands-on” because the instructor is right in front and telling you what to do; but because this is a social media class, it feels like students get a better “hands-on” type of learning experience because it’s about social media, and the advantages of social interaction through online outlets. As digital technology advances, the barrier between “classroom” teachings and “online” teachings will have softened and eventually disappear-I feel Second life is a step toward that goal, by creating students’ virtual self and interacting in the “virtual” classroom students can become more involved because it’s not just Web 2.0. I feel you can only get so much out of blogging, because in today’s society it’s all about being involved and Second life makes a person get involved.

The basics I learned about Second Life

I have started Second Life. My name in Second Life is Haylee Zeminoba, and I got started on Monday. Since I am familiar with games like Second Life, it wasn’t too difficult to get started. There is always some trouble with getting to know how Second Life uses certain applications, for instance, designing my avatar was frustrating at first because I couldn’t figure out which applications were for hair color. Once I watched some of a tutorial, I figured out how to pick out certain characteristics for my avatar. Overall I am still working on designing my Avatar, because I’m picky and want her to look good, but now that I know how to get her how I want it shouldn’t be long till I’m interacting with my social media peers. I know how to use shortcuts to change the appearance of my avatar whenever I want, so if I get bored with her look during the game, I can easily change her appearance.

Educational Second Life

Second Life is a great tool for education. Instead of just using Web 2.0 applications, students can be immersed in a virtual world, which would overall enhance the educational experience. Professors could teach more classes bases only on Second life because it goes a step beyond a syllabus accessed online. Professors can interact with students on a more “virtual” friendly basis. Scheduling times to meet with a professor virtually because the Professor it out-of-town would be a great tool for a number of students to get the answers to their questions quicker than just using e-mail. In 10 years, yes, most college education could be done in virtual worlds like Second Life-but classes with labs for science or radio/television would probably need students to be in front of an instructor and the school’s tools for better learning. Good things about the idea is that it breaks the geographical barrier of learning in the classroom-anyone can attend. A bad thing about the idea is that it could ruin the college atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment